Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Let The Games Begin

      Ever since the end of May, we have endured a summer of bad TV. A summer of scanning through the channels; mindlessly flipping between reruns of a favorite sitcom and the latest made for TV movie. An entire season of "what do you want to watch?" "I don't know, what do you want to watch". Well starting this week, we can say this no more. The time has finally arrived. Fall is in the air, and with the new chill in the air comes the new TV shows of the 2011-2012 seasons. To clarify...I am not much of a TV person. I honestly watch barely any, if I'm looking at a television, it's usually a movie. But there are select shows that manage to entertain my family enough to corral us all into the living room for an hour. Various television shows have come and gone in my family's normal weekly repertoire. When I was in the elementary and middle school years, the cool shows were Unfabulous and Drake and Josh. Then as I got older, Beyond The Break, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and Wildfire were some of my personal favorites. Ugly Betty was great while it lasted.
      As of now, we keep up with How I Met Your Mother, Glee, and The Big Bang Theory regularly. However, with the coming season, we have decided to give a couple of the brand new shows a shot. So we gave Two Broke Girls and The New Girl a chance. We sat down, and watched the pilots together. We even gave Two and a Half Men a try now that Charlie Sheen is off the show. However, we ran into a problem right away. It's becoming increasingly evident to me that as of around two years ago, people just forgot how to write good TV. Instead of witty cleaver lines in sitcoms, they've turned extremely vulgar and just downright nasty. Instead of light and fun story lines, they've decided to add "heart-wrenching" drama to every character's life. It's just become a disappointment. I remember a few years ago, when every week, I would be so excited for next week, so I could see the new episode of my favorite show. Yet somehow, that's completely stopped now.
      I honestly can't think of one show at the moment that I'm just dying to see the next episode of. None of the pilots were impressive, funny, or overly interesting. Maybe there were a couple of laughs here and there. But it's not like in the first season of Glee, when I just couldn't wait for next Tuesday at 7 so I could find out what happens with Finn and Rachel's romance. For the first week of pilots, I give the award of the most entertaining to The New Girl with Zooey Deschanel. It was witty, not overly vulgar, and the main character is actually somewhat likable.
       Maybe it's me. The world's sense of humor has changed, and I just haven't caught up yet. This would really make more sense than anything else. I hate the show Modern Family, yet it won the majority of the Emmy's. My whole family doesn't understand the humor in 30 Rock or The Office. Maybe we just fail to get modern humor. But to all of the amazing writers out there...learn how to write good TV again. Learn how to make a joke without mentioning any exchanges of bodily fluids. Learn how to construct likable characters mixed with interesting story lines. First week of TV? So far...not impressed. Come on writers, let's make this season a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment