Saturday, October 1, 2011

When Happy Haunts Materialize

      We've all waited a long time. It's been a dreary summer full of excruciatingly hot days, bug infested nights, and more sunny days than I care to tolerate. Finally, it's here, fall is in the air at last! This is just the perfect season, and is a close second to winter for my favorite season of the year. The weather is finally cooling off, forcing me to break out the sweaters and long sleeved shirts. No longer are the days of wearing shorts every day, they are to be packed up and kissed goodbye until next summer. No longer do I crave the raspberries and strawberries of the summer season, but crisp apples and pumpkin flavored everything. Leaves of the trees have already just begun to be shed from their branches. Soon, the ground will be littered with leaves of all different oranges, reds, and yellows.
      Now that October is here, I've settled into my school schedule, now comfortable with my daily routine. Also, with the first day of October, comes the Halloween festivities, rearing their scary heads once again. The pumpkin patches advertising corn mazes and camel rides, with the tantalizing smell of kettle corn in the air. The bright orange fregetable (fruit/vegetable) colors the entrance to all grocery stores. Costume stores are being opened all over, advertising disguises for all ages. Starting at babies that are forced into pumpkin suits that force even the most cynical person in the world to crack a smile. Then Disney Princesses and Mario characters are the cool costumes for the younger kids. Middle schoolers all want to dress like the latest pop star. Then, the section of costume stores that cracks me up the most, the adult woman's section. Offering selections such as the Native American princess we all know and love: "Pocahottie" or the well respected "Strip Search Officer Tara U. Clothesoff". Yes...that's an actual costume.
       But if I had to pick one element of Fall that I just love more than anything, it has to be the smells. When you think of summer, what do you smell? Sweat? Spring? All I can think of is allergies. Winter? You can't smell anything because you're probably sick with a cold. But just the thought of Fall consumes my nose with the tempting scents of salty kettle corn, sweet pumpkin, and spiced apple cider. Everything twinged with a hint of cinnamon. Like I mentioned earlier, a beautiful thing about Fall, is that you can get pumpkin flavored anything. And I mean anything. I'm a big believer in the fact that pumpkin just makes everything taste better. Think about it....pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin bagels, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin spice lattes (which I've never had, but I've heard they're to die for), pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice bars, the list just goes on and on!
     I think I would describe Fall as the most pleasing season for the senses. The temperature is comfortable to your sense of touch. Everything tastes and smells incredible. Everywhere you look is beautiful and colorful. The crunch under your feet with every step gives you the feel that fall is really here. I really do adore this season, and I am so looking forward to the months to come. My favorite half of the year is upon us, and I want to make it a good one. When school gets stressful, or I get frustrated with anything going on in my life, I can just take a deep breath, and remind myself it's fall. Close my eyes, let the images of falling leaves and colorful pumpkins fill my mind. Imagine being surrounded with the scents of one of my favorite times of the year, and I am ready to face whatever is ahead of me. 'Tis the season to break out the sweaters, pumpkins, ghosts and witches, scary stories, cinnamon, costumes, and take time to play in the leaves.



No comments:

Post a Comment