Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Few Kind Words

    I first learned what a compliment was in my early days of elementary school. Our principal's name was Mr. Pauley, a balding man with a thick mustache and a permanent smile on his face. At the end of every school day, he would announce any birthdays in the school, followed by a joke, and ended his announcements with "Have a great day, and make sure to give somebody a compliment." At first, I didn't think much of his encouragement to say some kind words to someone everyday. However, looking back on it, I can't help but be impressed by how wonderful of advice that was.
   It's so simple. No cost, with the possibility for incredible payoff. You never know how much a compliment may affect someone. Especially when you pay one to someone you don't even know. Today, I was at a restaurant, just waiting at the counter for my order to be ready, when two of the workers complimented my hair. Nothing fancy, probably didn't take much effort on their part, just "I really like your hair". Maybe it's silly that such a thing could have such an effect on me, but it really made my day! I was so happy after that, it was so nice of them!
   I encourage all of you to follow Mr. Pauley's sage advice. Every single day, make it a goal to pay one person a truly genuine compliment. I don't care if it's a friend you've known for years, the sister you see every day, or the girl checking out your groceries at the supermarket. Everyone likes to be noticed and appreciated every once and a while. Whether you say some kind words about an outfit that strikes you as different or interesting, or something they do exceptionally well, it will make them feel good. I know whenever anyone compliments me, it makes me happy, makes me smile, gives me faith in how wonderful people can be sometimes.
   So I leave you with the parting words of my beloved principal, have a great day and make sure to give somebody a compliment". You never know how big of a difference a few kind words can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment