Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Word On Ugly Christmas Sweater Day

     The holiday season is upon us. It's a time for hot chocolate, snowflakes, brightly colored ribbons, cookies of all shapes and sizes. It's a time to be joyous and jolly, enjoying sudden bursts of Christmas caroling and feverish counting down to Christmas. In these next couple of weeks up until Christmas, a lot is going on in my life. First off, I took the ACT yesterday. Then I have a huge physics test next week. But besides all of that school stuff wrapping up before the end of the year, there's a lot of fun stuff to look forward to as well. My house is now decorated from head to toe with garlands, lights, and wreaths. Soon will be time to make and decorate our classic Christmas cookies. And I can't wait to start wrapping presents, I've always found that fun! But one of the days I look forward to most, is coming up this Thursday. That day, is Ugly Christmas Sweater Day. The day everyone in our school is probably better dressed than they are any other day of the year.
    This day is one to rummage through your Mom's closet, finding the most ornate, embroidered, elf-clad piece of knit monstrosity that you can find. Yes, this is the embodiment of Ugly Christmas Sweater Day. Unfortunately, my Mom threw out all of her truly heinous Christmas sweaters years ago, so I had to resort to rummaging through a friend's mother's bins (yes, bins...plural) of holiday sweaters - we had to tell her it was Christmas Sweater Day...dropping the Ugly to spare feelings.
    Now let's put this into perspective...there are a lot of ugly Christmas sweaters out there. There are those with images of reindeer, Santa's face, the list goes on and on. But the festive vest that I ended up with last year, I believe to be one of the winners. It was a red vest with white buttons, little gingerbread girls and boys were popping off of it. Gold tassels covered the thing. There were candy canes, elves, ornaments, the whole shebang. This is what Ugly Christmas Sweater Day is all about. Wearing the absolute ugliest masterpiece of true unadulterated ugly, and sprinkle some pure Christmas spirit on top. And on this day, my high school all comes together to share in the ugly, and just be happy to be happy, healthy, together, and ugly. This rings in the holidays for us all, wishing everyone a bright and merry Christmas! 

P.S. Don't make fun of the picture, it was early, a year ago, and I'm just getting in the ugly spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment