Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fame! I Wanna Live It Forever

       Fame: the biggest and most unattainable dream for millions of people around the world. As I sit here watching Anne Hathaway and James Franco ring in the 83rd Annual Academy Awards, I can't help but be jealous. While there's the obvious fact that fame isn't all it's built up to be, it's more work than it looks like, it tears apart families (as made obvious by the lovely Cyrus family), yes, I know. But on the outside, the beauty, the excitement, the glamor...it's all just so tantalizing, it could make anyone want to become famous.
        I was one of those little girls who wanted nothing more than to be a famous singer/actress when I grew up. From ages five to nine, I was absolutely positive that my future was surely full of flashing cameras, people fawning over me hand and food, and people lining up to give me a shiny award for my hard work.l It looked like such a wonderful life...then of course reality hit--not only the fact that the entertainment industry is pretty much the most difficult one to get into--but I saw the corruption behind the glamor. Drugs, arrests, and scandals. Your entire life laid out for everyone to see. It's quite the trade off. That's where one must choose if it's really worth it.
      While it's sad that the most celebrated celebrities are the ones who entertain us through movies and music rather than those changing the world through academia, to be able to change the world through a two hour film as much as movies like Titanic, Star Wars, Harry Potter, The King's Speech, Black Swan, and all of those other movies that are being awarded tonight...it's such an incredible thing. When I watch a movie, I try to imagine what it would be like to be the one acting in it. How would it feel to be portraying Rose Dewitt Bukater in one of the most epic disasters in history. To be Hermione, fighting magical evils. How it must feel to be in a profession where you can become a completely different person with each new job that comes your way.
       To be able to move someone to tears whether form grief for a dying beloved character or from laughing so hard that you begin to cry. To affect someone so greatly. It will continue to baffle me. When we watch movies, we know they're fiction. We know that it's just an actor reciting memorized lines that were written for them. We know that when they're done filming for the day they're just regular people. Yet we identify with them so much that we feel sadness if they're not able to be with the one they love. Or we feel happiness if they are able to fulfill their lifelong dream. It will never cease to baffle me how much the magic of movies can really affect a person. Including me.

No comments:

Post a Comment