Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Which Era Are You?

     Today in my U.S. History class, we watched a movie on the turn of the 20th century. Yes, the 1900's were here, and industry was thriving. Women could vote, African Americans were beginning to slowly gain their civil rights, Edison invented the light bulb, and the Wright Brothers put man in the air for a suspended period of time. It was a great time in many ways. The video was full of smiling faces, seduced by the adrenaline that came along with a thriving economy and nation with exponential power.
    This was when my friend Katie turned to me and said that she wished she could go back to this time, it looked like everyone was just having so much fun. I couldn't help but agree with her. At this time New York was full of so much rich culture, 1 in 3 people were European immigrants, all friendly with one another. Yes, there was still murder, and unemployment, etc. But all considering, it looked like a really great time in our nation's history.
    And now this blog entry officially sounds like a history report. On to the point, if I could go back to any era in history--no, let's make that U.S. History (any era in world history is a completely different story)--I would have to go with the Roarin' 20's. Call me cliche or albeit crazy, but I want to live in the time of flappers, when music was everywhere you went, and America was high on life. Disney was soon to begin his rise to fame, Charlie Chaplin was the Morgan Freeman of the time, cabires protesting the prohibition were all the rage, and Americans didn't have a care in the world other than appreciating the new technology and how fortunate they were to be living in such a prosperous country. It was a never ending party...I see it as a much classier and glamorous version of Jersey Shore.
    Maybe I'm wrong, after all, I wasn't there, nor have I studied extensively on the age, but after watching movies like Chicago and countless documentaries in school, it seems that living in the 20's would be like living in a constant fantasy filled with bright excitement, never-ending dancing, new experiences, and of course...All....That....Jazz.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment