Sunday, June 12, 2011

Four Days Of Freedom

         We as teenagers work around seven hour days, five days a week. Add in projects, homework, essays, and the fact that we have to get up at six in the morning, and we get pretty worn down. So it goes without saying that by the time June rolls around, every student is about ready to tear their hair out, they're so ready for a break from school. Those few months of the year when there is just nothing to worry about. No restless sleep just waiting for the dreaded alarm clock to start your morning. No guilt for doing anything but studying or doing homework. No anxiety over how you did on your last test and how that score will impact your grade. Teachers, deadlines, papers, and stress are a thing of the past. It's time to kick back and relax. A time of late nights with friends, lazy days by the pool, feeling the sun on your face, and not having another care in the world.
        Well for the past two summers (since I've been in high school), there's been a little thing called "summer school" that gets in the way. School was let out on Wednesday June 8th for the summer. So my summer consisted of Thursday: heavy and severe thunderstorms all day and night, I went shopping and dyed my hair black. Friday: Overcast day. I went shopping for my sister's dorm room, made banana bread, and played tennis. Saturday: Cloudy with light misty rain. I did errands like crazy in preparation for my sister leaving for a seven week internship. Sunday: The sun somewhat poked out of the clouds. I finished reading "Jurassic Park", worked on some projects I've been meaning to get to, and made dinner for my family. I don't mind about the weather at all, I love the clouds and overcast days. But it hasn't been much of a partying kind of summer, seeing as today was my last day of my break. That's right, four days of freedom, and I'm right back in school.
         The summer before freshman year, my sister was taking physics over the summer to get ahead for the next year. So I figured: "Hey, if my sister's doing summer school, I may as well.", so I took Intro To Business. Last year, I figured: "Well, I want to have time to take photography class during the year", so I took Health. This year I figured: "Well, my sister's doing an internship during the time of summer school, I may as well take a class and do something  productive." And that's how I got into taking physics honors this summer.
        Six weeks jam packed full of five hours a day of physics. I know it was my choice to take this class, and it's not even that I'm dreading it. It's just...six o'clock is very early! My summer was four days long. It started with the completion of my last final, and it's ending with the start of summer school. Will it be worth giving up my summer? That's what people keep asking me. Every time, it's the same answer. If I didn't take physics, I just know I would spend the seven weeks my sister is in the lab looking at stem-cells, stuck at home, bored, with nothing to do. Being bored and unproductive is pretty much my biggest pet-peeve. Yes, I will be giving up my summer. Yes, I will probably complain about it a lot. But no, I will not regret it. My friends will spend their summers sleeping in until noon. By noon everyday I will have finished the equivalence of a week of physics (each day of summer school equals a week during the year). 

No comments:

Post a Comment