Tuesday, June 14, 2011

One Is The Loneliest Number...Right?

       I am a teenager. By definition, all I should desire as an angsty teen is independence. I should want nothing more than to be with my friends and get away from my family. That's what young adulthood is all about, right? Finally we can get our licenses to drive. No longer do we have to depend on our parents to get us from point A to point B. Maybe our parents are trusting us to stay home alone all night instead of taking you to your grandma's. We should want more than anything to just be able to do what we want, when we want. Not factoring in what is important to our families. My friends will all tell me horror stories about their parents. How they yell and scream at one another. They'll do anything to just get out of the house so that they don't have to be around their mothers and fathers. I believe myself to be the complete and total opposite.
       These last couple of days, I have had as much time to do exactly what I want when I want, all by myself...and all I can think is...I cannot wait until my parents get home. I do not want to have another meal by myself. I do not want to sit around watching movies by myself. Thinking how my sister would have laughed so much at that one line that we've had an inside joke about for years. Thinking how even though my dad would complain about having to watch this "chick movie", he would actually have really enjoyed some of the stupid romantic comedy movie humor. When my friends invite me to sleepover or see a movie, sometimes I really would rather to just have a relaxing night at home. I detest coming home to an empty house. When I make cookies, there's no one to offer dough to. No one to come galloping down the stairs at the scent of dinner being almost ready.
       Maybe it's not what a characteristic teenager should think, but I miss my family. 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment