Saturday, June 18, 2011

We Try, We Fail, We Try Again, We Fail Again

      Every day we are forced to try new things. If I go though an entire day without doing a single thing that's new, different, or a challenge, the day in itself should be considered a failure. In one day, I probably encounter an average of thirty times the amount of failures than I do successes. After a day like this, I feel extremely accomplished. If I didn't try these things, I wouldn't have failed at them, and I wouldn't have known the outcome of doing these new things. This is what pushed me to dye my hair. If I never dyed it, I would have never known what it would look like, and I would go through my entire life just wondering how I would look with black hair, but never brave enough to actually find out. Even if it ended up as a mistake, I would learn from it and move on, instead of just sticking to the status quo, never changing anything because I'm too afraid of the outcome. And guess what? I ended up loving my black hair.
        One of my favorite quotes of all time: "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things because we're curious, and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney. Everyone who have read this blog knows that Walt Disney has had a huge influence over my life. His work, dreams, and aspirations have inspired me since I was a little girl. This quote is not only what has inspired the entire philosophy of the Disney company, but particularly the movie Meet The Robinsons. First of all, I love the movie. Second, the entire motto of the movie, featuring an orphaned genius boy aspiring to be an inventor, is "keep moving forward". He grows up failing dozens of times trying to perfect his inventions, but every failure he encounters, he ends up getting yelled at for by adults. His failures were suppressed by everyone around him. When this boy travels to the future, a time with flying cars and time machines, he is applauded for his suprme and utter failure, with hopes that it will lead towards success in the future. This is how life should be.
        If we keep living in a world where we look down upon one another's failures, it will just discourage people to try again. Suppressing anything new, suppressing innovation, suppressing the future. Yes, the failure of others may be inconvenient and maybe a little unpleasant at times, but we must just learn to look towards the future. Somehow, our society is forgetting how to do this. When a colleague or friend fails at something, we will huff in annoyance and say "Ugh! Just let me do it!". We will discourage them ever getting a retry.
       Today I tried making jam all by myself for the first time. I had only made it once before, but this was with the guidance and help of my grandma every step of the way. She spent years perfecting her recipe for homemade jam. We always get all of our jam from her, my entire family is addicted to it! So, I thought it was time I learned the tricks of the trade. I mashed the raspberries together with the other ingredients, trying to do it exactly as my grandma had shown me. Did it turn out perfectly? No. It was much to thin of a consistency. We now have six jars of too-thin raspberry jam. Is that annoying? Yes. Did my parents yell at me for wasting ten cartons of raspberries? No. Of course not. They smiled and said "Well, we'll just have to give the peach jam a try tomorrow."We'll perfect the raspberry another day. Now I know that I have to dry the raspberries more. I now know I have to boil the pectin for longer. Next time I try will it be perfect? No. But one of these days, after trying, innovating, and trying again, I am going to get it right. I just know it.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things because we're curious, and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
-Walt Disney

Be proud of your supreme and utter failures.

1 comment:

  1. Aha, I feel like I'm the only one who ever comments.
    But, I love that quote a bunch, and I want some of that Jam.

    ReplyDelete