Monday, July 4, 2011

Chandeliers In The Sky

       The sky's colors are all mixing together at the horizon line. The sun sinking lower and lower in the sky, taking with it the swirls of pink, orange, and red. Friends, neighbors, family alike all gather together. Blankets are laid out in the grass, camping chairs are unfolded. Spreads of potato salad, hot dogs, buns, and corn on the cob are balanced on truck beds. The buzz of excited chatter, children playing, and some adult's beer-enhanced laughter drown out the test-bangs of explosives coming from far away. The smell of bug spray floats through the air. Then the sky is dark. The first bolt of light flies through the air with a deafening boom, followed by fizzling crackles of sparks. But of course, this is only the first of many to come.
      The true embodiment of the beginnings of our country. Independence Day. The day we broke apart from Britain, and became our own great nation. This is celebrated by displays of patriotism. Wearing colors of the flag, parading down a stretch of road through town, and then of course the fireworks show. Every town in the nation has one. Along with many in more daring citizens' backyards. I'm torn on the subject of fireworks. Ever since my grandma pointed out all of the pollution they cause when I was a little girl, I haven't been able to enjoy them quite as much as everybody else does. All of that smoke and explosion...for what? It doesn't build or make anything. Just a few minutes of true excitement and enjoyment. Is it really worth the pollution? The dozens of itchy bites? Can it really all be worthwhile?
      However, I cannot deny it, when the fireworks start, they captivate me. Memories of seeing the show every year with my grandma flood into my being. Remembering when we got so close to them that the sparks showered down on us. The smell of corn on the cob and pudding are the only ones that seem to register, even through all of the bug spray. What makes me happier than all, is when they set off a gold firework. Anyone who's seen a firework show knows what I'm talking about. One of those beautiful gold ones that goes high into the sky, exploding with a real boom, then the gold flakes seem to rain forward. I always called these the "chandelier fireworks". All I could think of when I saw these huge displays of shiny gold was Beauty and the Beast - yes, another Disney reference, I know, get over it. But that's what my young mind immediately went to.
     The gold chandeliers raining down on us, as if we're in that ballroom with Belle and Beast. She in her beautiful yellow gown, matching the chandeliers above. Beast is the most dashing creature, in his blue and white dress robes; asking for a dance with Belle. Being serenaded by Mrs. Potts. The soft swaying music only making the night more perfect. When the first chandelier firework soars through the sky, the bug bites, the cold, the crowds, they all cease to matter. All that matters is that I'm with the people I love most, ringing in our country's independence under a night sky filled with bangs, crackles, booms, and, of course, chandeliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment