Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Groovy Baby!

        A man of great intelligence and stealth. A man beyond his era, using the latest technology to fight crime, and his greatest and evil nemesis. A man of mystery. A man loved by all who cannot be stopped...GROOVY BABY! He is Powers...Austin Powers. The best, most sophisticated, and profound movies of all time....no. One of the movies I've laughed most at in the world...possibly. I remember seeing the first Austin Powers movie in a hotel years and years ago, I was probably around eight years old. I was in another room, when all of a sudden I hear my Dad's roar of laughter. Eventually, I couldn't ignore his explosive laughter anymore, I had to see what was so funny. On the hotel television, I see a world of psychedelic colors and groovy music. Ruffled ascots and neon cars. My mother wants to immediately pull me away from the television. She believed the parody of Jame Bond to be way beyond my years and far too corrupting for my young and innocent eyes.
       My Dad ignores my Mom's wishes to turn off the crude movie, saying that I would see it all eventually and it was too funny of a movie to be turned off. And my goodness was he right. The awfully rude and at times downright offensive humor. The stupid remarks making fun of the original James Bond movies. The dozens of times Powers is shot at in plain sight, but somehow, a bullet never hits him. The fact that almost every single name in the movie is some kind of innuendo. All put together into one insane and ridiculous movie just makes it the hilarious movie that it is.
      I guess you could say that for the most part, I like pretty profound movies. My favorites list going as follows: Good Will Hunting, Titanic, National Treasure, The Kings Speech, and Avatar. So now, as I sit here, watching "Fat Bastard" telling Mini-Me to get into his belly, I wonder to myself...why in the world am I watching this garbage can of a movie? Answer...everyone has to watch and enjoy Austin Powers at one point or another. I don't care how serious and humor-less of a person one may be...when Powers tells me to "OH BEHAVE" or Dr. Evil takes his finger to the corner of his mouth while stroking his hairless cat I cannot help but chuckle. The movies are crude and completely stupid, but if you haven't seen them...watch them when you need a laugh. It's a movie to watch after you've had a bad day in which you just need to get your mind off of things. So now, as Mr. Powers, the Man of Mystery is offering Felicity Shagwell a sensual massage in his his "Shag Pad", I apologize to future generations for the grossness that is this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment