Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Fly On The Wall

            Because I know how much all of my readers just love hearing about my experiences in U.S. History class as I so frequently share them with you, here's another for you! *Cue the applause!* Now that the semester is winding down, dwindling into final projects to wrap up the year, a new assignment has emerged. However, unlike most of my U.S. History essays I am assigned, I am not required to summarize  achapter or packet profiling one of our past presidents or leaders. This is an assignment like no other. Much harder than any research paper could be. Much more in depth than any chapter out of a biography could go.
            If I could be a proverbial "fly on a wall" in any event in history, what would it be and why? I am to choose just one event in our country's rich, mysterious, and sometimes thrilling history to witness. I can't even begin to come up with a list of possibilities just because there are so many to choose from. In addition, we are not permitted to be a fly on a wall throughout an entire era, it must be one specific event.
           Originally when I got this assignment, I thought, "Oh this will be simple! I'll just ask my parents and sisters what event they would go to, and spring ideas off of that." My parents' first instincts were: "In the room witnessing the conversation between Hilary and Bill Clinton when Hilary first found out about his affair with Monica Lewinsky. While I would find that absolutely hilarious, I wanted it to have a bit more of a historical significance, not something with more of a pop-culture-gossip-esque connotation. My Dad suggested in the oval office with John F. Kennedy and his cabinet members during the almost-catastrophe of the Cuban Missile Crisis. However, I just find most of JFK's presidency just such a failure, I don't want to get into that. My sister desperately wants to go back to pretty much any point in time where she can see Alexander Hamilton (her one true love). But Alexander Hamilton is her greatest interest, not mine.
           I feel like I should choose an event that no one else can experience except for the people who were there. Something not broadcast on TV or radio, not recorded in any way. Maybe something that has remained a mystery to our country. Thoughts of the Kennedy Assassination, Watergate, and the Lunar Landing have gone through my head. But nothing seems to fit just right. Nothing has stuck out as "wow, I need to experience that!". I want to experience it all!

            So I leave you with an assignment for the day, think about it. In what event would you give anything to become a fly on the wall? And maybe leave a comment on this blog entry and let me know what it is! Good luck to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Be in the bus with Rosa Parks?
    Signing of the Declaration of independence?
    Witness the pilgrims' first steps on American soil?
    In the cockpit of the Enola Gay?
    In the oval Office when they were deliberating dropping the bomb on Hiroshima?

    ReplyDelete