Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Land Before Time

            In the thick of a hot and steamy jungle. Under the cover of a thick canopy of leaves. The only sounds to be heard are those of the pounding rain and the exotic wildlife pattering about. In most cases, this exotic wildlife would consist of several species of monkeys, birds, and dozens more. However, in the book I'm currently reading, that is not the case. I'm sure you have all heard of the enormous franchise created by the very scientific author: Michael Crichton. Better known as: Jurassic Park. Before his hit novel that put dinosaurs into great showcased prominence, they weren't so heard of. Yes, they were these enormous creatures that roamed the Earth that we currently live on hundreds of millions of years ago. Before Crichton, dinosaurs weren't really given another thought by those who weren't heavily interested in paleontology (a.k.a. Ross from Friends).
           Before last week, I had never read the book that I am in the middle of. I had never seen the movie. I just thought dinosaurs were these vicious creatures, and there just wasn't that much else to know. Reading this book has so opened my eyes. Cloning isn't that far off in our scientifically advanced world. There could be some mad scientist out there right now, perfecting his new theme park that is going to put Disney to shame. A park that features not only the fun animals we see at the zoo. No more are the most ferocious animals of the jungle the lions, tigers, and bears (oh my!). So many species of animals much more dangerous than what our world  is used to existed millions of years ago. The woolly mammoth, saber toothed tiger, and then of course, the terrifying dinosaurs. Triceratops, Velociraptors, Tyrannosaurus. So many species of dinosaur that we are unfamiliar with. The thoughts of what could be done with such creatures are mind boggling.
          Prior to reading this book, of course, I knew the gist of the plot line from different movies talking about it, the ride in Universal Studios, etc. A man perfects the cloning of prehistoric dinosaurs and is creating a sort-of theme park on a remote island to attract tourists, giving extensive tours to visit their zoo of sorts that features their creations. However, something must go terribly wrong. I've always thought it was a very interesting concept. I love anything to do with theme parks and mystery, so it's right up my alley. Just the thought that this could actually happen somehow in the future. How with the power of scientific discovery, a single man could gain so much power. Whether used for good or for bad.
             It's a wonderful, exciting, and extremely well written book, I would highly recommend it. However, I'm only about half-way through. However, I am yet to see the movie. But one thing's for sure. For the next few nights, every time I hear a "boom" or "crash", whether made my the rolling thunder of the storm brewing outside or my cats knocking something over downstairs. I will not be having images of armed burglars in my house. I will be worried of the mighty Tyrannosaurus - our history's biggest meat-eater - coming to get me. So next time you hear a rumble, think...it may not be what you expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment