Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mommy and Me

                It's that time of year again. The second Sunday in May: a day to appreciate the woman in our lives that defy the laws of the universe and somehow manage to take care of a million things at once. Those women who are the reasons for our existence. The woman you went crying to with a nightmare. The woman who spoon fed you applesauce when you were sick. The woman who never missed a school play or band concert. The one who put your comfort and entertainment before her own. She went to the "Pokemon" movie when she would've been happier with just about any other movie in the theater. She carted you to every single ride in Disney World, endured It's A Small World, and waited in the gift shop while we went on the roller coasters. She's cleaned up your messes, braided your hair, and was always there for you when you needed her most. She's your mother, and whether you like it or not, you love her unconditionally. Or at least, I do.
                Maybe these aren't the circumstances for everyone. I know that there are those out there without a mother who does all of these things for them. There are mothers out there who consider being dragged to their child's choir concert as a chore, and not a joy. Those who regret having kids at all. I have friends who can't stand their mothers, who consider any moment spent with her is a waste. There are neglectful mothers. Then there are those who don't have a mother at all. This is why I consider myself so incredibly lucky to have a mother I can consider one of my best friends. Someone I can talk to. Someone I can look to for guidance, for protection, for answers. She knows what to do about everything. Attacks a project with more determination than I thought was possible.
               Possibly my favorite quality of my Mom, is she will not take second best. If someone rudely shoes off being better than her, she does all she can to prove that wrong. Not to the person who was so rude, but just to herself. Once at a classroom party, one of the room moms brought in pumpkin cookies that were a hit with the kids. So my mom asked for the recipe, she wasn't dying for it or anything, but she thought it might be a nice dessert to make sometime. The woman responds very curtly with "oh no, this is a very secret family recipe that cannot be found anywhere else! These even have frosting on them! No one can replicate these." First thing my mom does when she gets home: scans the internet for a recipe, experiments, and comes up with the exact same cookie from the party. It sounds silly, but that's the thing I love about her. 
                My Mom is amazing. She always has been, and always will be, there's no changing that. Which is why I'm grateful every day that she is my mom. Everyone, even if you don't have the closest relationship with your mom, it's not too late, it's Mothers Day for another couple of hours, go tell her you love her. Because whether you like it or not, you do love her. She's the one who's responsible for your existence. Even if she doesn't do all of that other stuff for you, just that is enough to deserve a hug. 

I know, I'm not the most adorable baby ever, but I loved my Mom from day one.
And don't worry, I become adorable around age one and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment