Monday, August 1, 2011

A Fine Line Between "Classics" And Boring

       So I'm a little bit of a movie buff. Not so much so that I know all of the lines to all of the most classic movies of all time, but enough so that I've seen an above average amount of them. My older sister's one true passion in life is multitasking. So she decided that it was time that she watched all of best and most highly acclaimed movies in our country's film history. She would watch the movies on her iPhone whenever she had a spare minute. So of course she had to start with the basics: Lawrence Of Arabia, Shawshank Redemption, etc. Most of these highly acclaimed, said-to-be-amazing movies, really are quite mind blowing. Just looking at my favorite movies of all time, you can see that I'm one to enjoy the award-winning type: Good Will Hunting, Titanic, The King's Speech, Avatar, Erin Brockovich, and so on. These are movies that just feel so much more significant and life changing than when I watch the credits of a Sandra Bullock romantic comedy roll. However, there happens to be a fine line between mind blowing, significant, amazing and mind-numbingly boring.
        Soon, I am going to be in California on vacation with my family. Of course, we have to hit all of the touristy spots from the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco to the Hollywood sign in L.A. Then of course, there's Hearst Castle; the incredibly gorgeous mansion that William Randolph Hearst built for himself in the 1920's. So, since we'll be touring this in just a matter of days, my parents thought it would only be fitting for my sisters and I to watch the movie: Citizen Kane. This is a black and white fictionalized version of William Randolph Hearst's life, starring Orson Welles.This is said to be one of the best - if not the best - movie of all time. So naturally, I was eager to watch this with my family. However, I was a little discouraged by the line in the TV show "Friends": Rachel "It's not like it's a classic like Citizen Kane!" Joey: "You managed to sit through Citizen Kane?!" Rachel: "Yeah, I know, it's really boring...but it's like a really big deal..."
       Granted, I only paid half-attention to the movie, I did not find much enjoyment out of this classic. Maybe because I couldn't relate, the movie was dated, or a combination of the two, I just couldn't find anything that interested me. However, I do feel like a bit of a failure. I claim to love these kind of classic, all-time best movies; then I watch Citizen Kane, one of the definitively best movies of all time...and I'm just like Rachel in "Friends", it was really boring! So where is that line that divides "classic" from extremely dated and boring?

No comments:

Post a Comment