Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Worlds, The Lands, And The Adventure

    Throughout my entire life, since before I can even remember, I have been visiting the magical and enchanting Disney World on an annual basis. I've traveled all over the world; all fifty states, Europe, all over the Caribbean, Canada, and Central America. Why is it that the one place that my sisters and I continue to beg to go back to over and over again is a theme park. We've seen the most beautiful natural wonders of the world, and all we want to go back to is the man-made land infested with actors in costumes, pretending to be characters of our childhoods. I guess I answered my own question when I said that I've been visiting these parks since before I can remember. I grew up with them. I grew up with the characters, the songs, the rides, the shows. Going inside Cinderella's Castle was my greatest and earliest dream I can remember. I love this place with all of my heart, but somehow, I hadn't been to the park that started it all up until this summer.
     Disneyland is obviously the original Disney park. Starting in Anaheim, California, Disneyland took the phenomenon of Mickey Mouse, fantasy, and imagination of Walt Disney and put it into a theme park that could be enjoyed by children and adults alike. However, when Anaheim attracted the "wrong kind of businesses", cluttering the streets with plenty of neon-clad establishments, Walt Disney wanted to start a new park. One that would cover enough property to be considered its own entity. This became Disney World. So Disney World is, of course, much larger. Containing four separate parks, it is 47 square miles of pure Disney. That is twice the size of Manhattan. Disney World is also much newer, closer to where I live, and has a much greater selection of attractions. So why in the world did we even want to visit its smaller and older Disneyland counterpart?
     Walt Disney's original park is referenced thousands of times in daily conversation. When I think about it, I probably hear more in TV shows, movies, and books about Disneyland than I do Disney World. That, compiled with the fact that Disneyland is the original, we thought it was about time to see what all of the hubbub was about. I was not ready to be overly impressed. I knew there weren't going to be the incredible amount of attractions that take three days minimum to visit them all like it is in Disney World. I knew that it was just the two parks: Disneyland and California Adventure, as opposed to the World's four: Magic and Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot. There would be no Epcot, futuristic and cultural experience, which is my whole family's favorite. I was ready to visit a theme park that would just make me long to go to Disney World even harder.
     I've got to say...I was a bit shocked. Part of my speculation was correct, some of the attractions weren't quite as good as Disney World, which just made me want to visit that park. In addition, when I entered the Disneyland Park, and I step onto Main Street, I look up, expecting the vast castle that just floors me every time I visit Disney World. Instead, I saw a castle...but it looked as if it had shrunken. It was tiny! Very cute, but I've got to say, I was a little underwhelmed. However, there were several newer attractions that had been built recently in order to try to attract more crowds that were extremely impressive! Namely, The Adventures of The Little Mermaid, Monsters Inc. (Mike and Sully To The Rescue), Indiana Jones, and California Screamin'. Then, there were some of the classic rides from Disney World that I adore, in which were actually much more entertaining in Disneyland. This was most prominent in Pirates of the Caribbean and It's A Small World. Maybe it's because they're the original rides of the original park.

End of Part 1
To Be Continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment