Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Keys To The Kingdom

Part 3
Continuation From: "Down The Rabbit Hole"

       For those of you who are getting extremely bored of me rambling on about Disneyland for the past two blog posts, be prepared to rejoice! This will (probably) be my last part in this saga of Disney goodness. I'm sorry to make this so long, but for those of you who follow this blog, you know that Disney is a big part of my life, and I wanted to document my impression of Disneyland while it's still fresh in my mind. It's funny how memories, even such potent ones, fade considerably after just a few weeks. I know I've been typing like a maniac about this subject, but there is just one more aspect of the experience I have to cover. Since my first visits to Disney World, the thing that always stuck in my mind was: "What's in the castle?". My dream was to go in it. I didn't have to live there, I just wanted to know what was in it. The mystery was agonizing to me as a five year old girl. It drove me crazy that there could be an entire world of wonder within the stone walls of the beautiful castle I've been visiting once a year for my entire life. This is one of the things that sets Disney apart from any other theme park in the world. 
      The mystery that comes along with any of the parks is so enticing. Disney doesn't just give free reign to any and all information about its beginnings and its secrets. Not just anyone is allowed into every nook and cranny of the park. When I was in Disneyland, one of the first rides we headed to was Pirates Of The Caribbean. As a family favorite, paired with the fact that we heard it was supposed to be better than the one in Disney World, we were all eager for this ride. But, the line stretching all through New Orleans Square suggested that we weren't the only Pirate lovers in the park. So we were waiting in the hot California sun when all of a sudden, my sister noticed something. Above the entrance to the ride, there was a balcony, adorned with the sign "Disney Dream Suite". So, we did what any normal American family would do. We whipped out our iPhones and scoured Wikipedia for answers. Indeed, Walt Disney had the "Dream Suite" construction started in the 1960's, but the project died along with the creator of all things Disney. However, it was reborn in the Year Of A Million Dreams in 2008. The suite is a luxurious living quarters, each room themed after a different area of the park. Every so often, the suite is given as a gift to a random family visiting the park. 
       This is the pure beauty of Disney. Do they have to give out this "Dream Suite" for free? No. Do they publicize their good deeds to show how "wholesome" of a company they are? No. They keep their humble good deeds quiet, mysterious, and full of fantasy. Now, not only will I forever fantasize about what is in Cinderella's Castle (besides the Disney World Dream Suite in the top), but I will always wonder what is in the "Dream Suite" that overlooks the bustling New Orleans Square. Supposedly it is adorned with memorabilia from past films, beautiful antiques, etc. 
       There is one more secret that Disney holds to be one of the most exclusive clubs there is. Club 33. This was Walt's idea, to make a private club that would only be kept at the highest standards of elegance and class. This club includes a restaurant, lounge, and full bar. The project was started and finished by Walt, the club itself is decorated by his wife, Lillian Disney. Membership to this club is set at the bargain price of $10,450, and an additional annual fee of $3,275. Oh, and that price does not include your meals eaten at Club 33, which customarily cost around $85 each. However, with this membership, you are allowed free access to Disneyland parks during any of its opening hours, including its early entrance hours. You are given six fastpasses upon entrance to the park, while normal patrons are only given one at a time. Also, free valet service, and permission on the presidential cart of the Disneyland Railroad is included with membership. Only a certain number of members are accepted at a time, and currently there is a 14 year waiting list to become a member. Some well known members include Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, and Elton John.
        The secrets. The mystery. The fantasy. The magic. People ask me what's so great about Disney World or Disneyland, they're just amusement parks like any other. But they're just not. These parks are different from anywhere else. It strives to be original, whimsical, and exclusive, while somehow still including everyone in the world. These secrets of Disney give me something to dream about. What you see is not what you get. No one can be sure of anything in these parks. The information in this blog entry is, of course, available to anyone with access to Wikipedia, so some may say they're not actually "secrets", but what mystifies me is the fact that these are just the secrets we know. It makes me wonder what secrets we don't know. The magic that is kept from our eyes. Those that hold the keys to the magic kingdom are the only ones that know. 
          There are so many conspiracies of things hidden in Disneyland and Disney World. Most I'm sure are just fake stories that were made up for entertainment. But it does make me wonder...what is hidden throughout these mysterious parks? What other secrets do the gates of Fantasyland hold? What has taken place there after the Extra Magic Hours are over? What hides just around the corner from Wonderland? Most likely, I'll never know. And that, my friend, is the magic of Disney.

I digress...


No comments:

Post a Comment