Wednesday, March 2, 2011

All I Want For Christmas Is...Inspiration?

       The game is high school and the enemy is depression. That may sound a little skewed since high school is supposed to be the best years of our lives as the youth of the world. But every issue of our school newspaper (which comes out monthly), has a featured article about depression. Although this may sound like a little bit of overkill, it's understandable considering the steady stream of tragic suicides that have occurred within our school district. Almost all committed by jumping in front of a train. When we had three high schoolers commit suicide in one school year, apparently the school district thought it was time to do something.
       An organization was started within the school that was supposed to battle depression through spirited events in which students could let loose and just have fun. In my opinion, I'm not quite sure what hiring Smash Mouth to play at a pep rally will do to stop kids with serious psychological issues stop themselves from taking their own lives...but hey, Smash Mouth was fun. Also to help high schoolers combat depression and stress, our school has begun hiring an inspirational speaker to take an hour and a half our of our school day to "inspire" us to be all we can be.
       I'm just a sophomore, so I've only seen one of these inspirational speeches. But the one I saw last year...well it hasn't made me excited for sitting through another one. It was a man talking to us about how life was a mountain, and in order to get over the mountain, we need hard work and support from our friends, family, and most importantly ourselves. Then he turned the tables and said life was actually a tupperware box, and we had to separate it into compartments. I know, pretty exciting stuff. However, I've heard that the speaker this year is a guy that spoke at our school three years ago, and my sister who saw him before said he was fantastic. She said she actually left the assembly feeling good, happy, and well...inspired.
       For the first time, I think I'm actually excited for an inspirational speaker...as I mentioned in my first post, I cannot successfully complete a photo shoot if I'm not inspired. So a little motivating boost couldn't hurt. Plus, I've heard that the speech includes something about crayons...and well....who doesn't love crayons?

No comments:

Post a Comment