Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Past But Not My History

         I have just come out of my three hour studying binge. That's the lovely thing about having two ridiculously hard tests on the same day. I was thinking I wouldn't post because it's late and I have to get up for school in less than eight hours, but I've written every day so far...I couldn't break my streak. So I'll make this quick...-ish.
         I am more excited for tomorrow than I have been in a while. First off, my school's marching band (which I am a part of in case you're new to reading this blog), is putting on a sidewinder tomorrow morning. A sidewinder occurs when a school team gets either first or second place in a state tournament. When this happens, the band plays their instruments while walking through the halls of the school. Unlike most, I am a huge fan of sidewinders, so that already puts a good twist to my morning.
         The bigger reason of why I'm so excited: I'm getting a visitor. My very best friend: someone I pretty much considered a sister, moved halfway across the country back in September. Since she moved, she visited for about a week in November, but since then, I haven't seen her. So you can imagine how ecstatic I am to be able to see my best friend again!
         When she moved away, people kept asking me if we would still keep in contact , and I couldn't help saying "of course!". And people just seemed skeptical that we would really keep a friendship going from across the country. But that brings me to the title of my blog. When she moved away, I was forced to move on. When I needed someone to go with me to a school event, or to help me pick out a dress, I couldn't just call her up anymore. So she was forced to become a thing of my past...but definitely not my history. I was amazed how some of her other friends completely lost touch with her when she moved away.
          So my advice to you, is if you have a friend move away--even if it's not your very best friend--keep in touch. It's especially important in the beginning. The friend who moved away is in a new place with no friends...they need to know that they still have the support of the people who loved them. Don't give up on a friendship...no matter what, you'll regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment