Tuesday, March 15, 2011

They're Called The Magic Words

            "Can you pass the salt?"
            "What?"
            "Can you pass the salt?"
            "I'm sorry, I can't hear you...."
            "May I please have the salt when it is convenient."
             "Of course, since you asked like such a polite young lady."
            That conversation pretty much sums up my childhood. My parents' goal was to breed my older sister and I to be the most polite children...ever. Now I can't help reciting those lines whenever I have any request. I even take after my parents. If a friend asks if they "can" do something, I'll reply with: "I'm sure you can..." until they say "may I..." I can't tell if this is a blessing or a curse. But something that comes with this drippingly polite demeanor, comes a pet peeve.
             If ever someone is impolite--especially to service people or teachers--it really gets under my skin. So many workers in today's society are so completely under appreciated. While we like to think that the people we're rude to don't really matter since we probably won't ever see them again, we don't realize how much we may actually be hurting them with harsh words. All it takes is a smile to brighten a worker's day. Be polite, use those magic words Barney taught in his show: "please and thank you, they're called the magic words."
             I know it just kills me if I help someone--I'm not talking about holding a door open or picking up a dropped pencil--I mean really put time and effort into helping someone, and they say absolutely nothing. No "thank you", no "wow, that was really great of you", not even a smile. It takes almost no effort just to show your real appreciation for what someone does for you. If someone asks me for help, I will almost always give it to the best of my abilities. But to have that person just turn the other cheek without so much as a "thank you" after they've used me for homework help, or advice, whatever it is...I can't help but feel underappreciated and used.
              Make someone's day and make a goal to be polite. Say something nice, you have no idea how far a simple "thank you", or "it's really nice of you to help me" can go. Even if it's to someone you may consider "below you", everyone wants to feel needed and appreciated.
              Thank you. Merci. Gracias. Takk. Domo. Doesn't matter the language. Just say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment