Monday, March 7, 2011

Secrets Secrets Are No Fun Unless They Are For Everyone

       I have come to realize that no matter how well I know a person, I will never know all of their secrets. Whether these secrets are minor things like an embarrassing irrational fear or something as big as the important details from someone's past. I'll never know everything about anyone's life. I'll never even know everything about my own life. I'm hard enough to figure out, figuring out a mind of which I can't control or read is much more difficult that I wish it was sometimes.
      I consider myself very close with both of my parents. I talk to them about everything. The only problem is: I feel like they tell me nothing about their own pasts. Sometimes I wish they would give me the entire spiel like Ted Mosby does in the TV show How I Met Your Mother. Every once in a while they will let something about their past slip out as if the fact that my dad got his first job by turning in his resume printed on a cake is nothing. Like I wouldn't be interested in knowing where my parents met or about their previous relationships before they met each other.
      In case you didn't notice from my incessant ramblings on this blog, I'm one who likes to talk. I am a pro at carrying on one sided conversations for hours if need there be. So my best friend is naturally someone who also loves to talk. She and I can literally not stop talking to each other because there are just so many things to say. So you would think that after three years of being friends and countless three hour phone conversations, we would pretty much know everything about each other. No way. I will never stop being shocked each time I learn something big I didn't know about her.
      Sometimes these hidden pieces of information are hidden for a reason. Sometimes it's intentionally kept from being divulged. Sometimes--in my parents' case--these tidbits of information are just simply forgotten, or not deemed important enough to bring up into conversation. Regardless, everyone has their secrets. Never will you be able to know all of them. But I find that every time I discover a new secret about anybody I try to appreciate the fact that they chose to share this thing that was important enough to keep from the rest of the world with me. People say secrets are no fun unless they are for everyone. I think they're no fun if they're for everyone...that just means that there would be nothing more to find out about another person. And where's the fun if you already know everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment