Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Don't Complain, 'Cause Baby I Was Born This Way

              Sorry to all of those Glee haters out there, but I am an admitted "Gleek". Bursting out into song at the most random times possible with obscure show tunes...that's basically my life, so it makes sense for me. Today's Glee episode was all based upon the prospect of loving yourself, the good, the bad, and the ugly, all put together with a fabulous Lady Gaga number at the end, performing her (of course) "Born This Way". Everyone is ashamed. It can be about a particular aspect of their appearance. It can be a personality flaw. A personal preference, their past, or maybe event their future. We all like to say that we walk with our heads held high, and we love ourselves no matter what, resulting in an unfaltering self-confidence. However, no one, and I mean no one can say they don't have one thing about them that they wish they could change.
             Our society puts so much weight upon appearance. :The exact aspects of a person that make them unique and who they are are the same things that they are tortured and ridiculed for, if not by bullies in school, by their own self-conscience. Girls will do everything in their power to change their appearance. Starving themselves, packing on the pounds of makeup. Even cosmetic surgery in some extreme cases of low self esteem.  When I was in elementary school, I thought I was just the most awesome and beautiful girl in the world. However, with growing up came realization that I wasn't. I wasn't the most beautiful, funny, or talented person. I have flaws, as everyone does. But in my middle school days I couldn't see past my slightly larger than normal nose, and I could only dream of the day when I was old enough to get a nose job.
            I saw my nose as something that would hold me back for the rest of my life, because it wasn't perfect. For a while, I just wanted to hide away, because I thought I was ugly. I thought I couldn't ever compare with the barbie-esque girls of my school. It took a very wise beyond her years girl who ended up becoming my best friend to show me that I was beautiful, not in spite of my flaws, but because of them. That any other nose, and I wouldn't be me anymore. With this realization, came an epiphany with my personality as well. That I was never to change myself for anyone, no matter what. my personality certainly isn't perfect. I put my foot in my mouth all the time, I'm nosier than anyone should be, I'm awkward in dozens of social situations, but hey, I love myself. Not in an "I'm perfect, everyone should adore me" way, but in a "I don't want to be anyone else, because I am me" sort of way. And this is how everyone should feel.
            If I didn't have that friend to teach my these things, I don't know how I would have ended up as a person? Would I still be my quirky and flawed self? Or would I be a fake alternate version of myself that changed herself too much to even know who she is anymore? Who's to say. All I know, is that you should love who you are. Big noses, small lips, weirdly shaped eyes, big ears, no matter what your thing is. Embrace is, make it work, flaunt it, and love it.

"Don;t hide yourself in regret, just love yourself and you're set. I'm on the right track baby, I was born this way." - Lady Gaga

No comments:

Post a Comment