Monday, April 25, 2011

It's So Bad I Can't Not Look At It!

                 Something I don't think I've mentioned in this blog as of yet is that my favorite TV show of all time is by far the hilarity encompassed in the show: Friends. The show is pure comedy genius (if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend paying your local library a trip to check out the series), and this is why I quote it so often that I don't even notice I do it anymore (an example being my blog entry titled: "Do A Little Dance, Make A Little Love...Well Basically Get Down Tonight"). When one of the characters Rachel sees two of her best friends in the middle of a romantic disaster, she says "oooh my god, I can't not look at it!", almost covering her eyes because it's so awful, but it's so bad she just can't look away. I can relate this to so many thousands of things in my daily life. The one I'd like to focus on: movies.
                 There are hundreds of deep, emotional, and all around epically crafted movies out there for people to experience. Titanic, Good Will Hunting, The Shawshank Redemption, movies that really make people have to think and analyze to understand their true depth and meaning. Then there are movies like what I witnessed tonight. Those movies that are so absolutely awful: the acting, the writing, just all around painful to sit through, yet they are just so bad, that they're actually quite good. Tonight I watched The Lizzie McGuire Movie for the first time in years. The first time I saw it as my innocent eight year old self thought it was just about the best movie EVER! Now watching it at sixteen, I notice so much more about its extreme flaws in almost every area. However, it's the atrocious lip syncing when Hilary Duff is yelling out: "This is what dreams are made of!" that makes it wonderful.
                 My other big example being the genius that is From Justin To Kelly, if you remember the first winner and runner up of American Idol made a movie together. But not just a movie, a movie that has instances where they randomly break into really sappy or irrelevant songs! It's the poorly coordinated dance scenes and flaky romance that makes the movie absolutely wonderful! My friends Stephanie and I couldn't go more than a sleepover or two without having to pop it into the DVD player and watch as Kelly sings to Justin about how she knew he was the one for her when they met on spring break.
                Epic and deep movies that make you feel extremely accomplished after you watch them are wonderful,k there is no denying it. However, I believe that these movies that are so bad that you just can't look away are good for the soul. You need one every once and a while, in a way I guess it kind of puts things into perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment