Monday, April 18, 2011

Mama, I'm A Big Girl Now

                "Stop! Don't! No!" "Be back by ten!" "Remember to brush your teeth!" "Go right to sleep!" These are the words of parents, and as annoying as these phrases may be sometimes, they;re the mark of a good parent. I heard that last phrase just a few minutes ago, that it was time for me to turn in for the night and that I shouldn't write my blog for the night, so to appease my parents, I'll make this short...ish.
                It's not a normal day of school without someone complaining about the latest "evils" of their mom or dad. "My mom grounded me for missing my curfew by just a couple of hours!" "My dad yelled at me for adding chemistry to my ever-growing list of classes I'm failing!" And these are almost always followed by: "they are so unfair!" I've been so incredibly immersed in Hairspray lately, I feel compelled to quote it: "Stop telling me what to do-o! Don't treat me like a child of two. I know that you want what's best, but mother please give it a rest! Mama, I'm a big girl now!" I hear about some of the things that my friends' parents let their children get away with, and I'm left awestruck! "Oh my Mom doesn't care if I'm out all night, as long as I text her or leave a note." Then again, there are parents I hear about that I think are just a little too uptight: "No, you can't wear a pink hair extension clip in your hair for the day! I love your pretty blond hair, don't defile it!"
               The perfect medium between too uptight and a little too lenient is an extremely fine line. I'm sure it's a never ending question as a parent. My parents were just questioning if I, a sixteen year old (a pretty low key and responsible one if I do say so myself), am old, mature, or responsible enough to stay a night in my own house alone. And some may see this as ridiculous that they don't trust me enough to stay by myself, I mean, what's going to happen to me in one night? But the other side of the story is: I like that my parents worry so much about me. I like that they text  to check in every once in a while if I'm out with friends or driving alone. The world is scary, and while I'm getting older, and soon enough I'm going to have to get used to my parents not always being there for me every time I stumble....I love that I can always trust my ever-loving parents to be worried sick about me...as infuriating as some may find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment