Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Nothing But The Clothes On My Back

               Fashion. It can be defined as a certain manner in which something is done. It can be what's "in", what's "hot and not". We judge everyone we see on a daily basis by their fashion. But put most simply: it's the clothes you put upon your back. Something to cover your skin and offer protection. But since the beginning of society, fashion has meant so much more than that. It's been a marker. That marker may indicate who one is as a person, their class, one's mood, or social status. Some love to blend in, while others do everything in their power to stand out from the crowd. Me? Well...I'm definitely not one to fit in.
               In my high school, I'd say about 85% of the girls in the school wear either a "hoodie" zipped halfway up over a tank top or a t-shirt from some kind of program in school that they're a part of three out of five days of the week. There's nothing wrong with this style, it's what girls of my school are comfortable in. However, with the clothes I choose to wear, I love to get artistic with it. I go for different looks that not everyone likes, and that's okay. Not everything I put together is gorgeous, but to quote Good Will Hunting (my favorite movie of all time), "at least I won't be unoriginal."
               I go for suspenders, big bows in my hair, patterned tights (they are possibly my favorite thing!), changing my hair every day, one skirt over another (which in all honesty, I stole from my sister, but I do love it!), etc. Sometimes I'll go a little too far and wear something just a little too weird; but the beautiful thing is that the next day, I can start over with a clean new slate. Once on a day I was wearing a black and white striped skirt over a turquoise ballerina skirt, black lacy tights, a big purple bow in my curled hair, with purple suspenders, my friend Samantha compared what I was wearing to Alice in Wonderland and said "I always love what you wear, but I would never be brave enough to wear it myself!"
               I will never forget that comment. I get generic compliments on my outfits all the time, but it's rare to get a comment of this nature. Someone who admires what I do, but isn't brave enough to break the social boundaries into the new and unexplored. This comment could be taken as a bit of an insult, but nonetheless, I was flattered. When I wear something like I did that day, I feel confident, like I can combat anything that may come my way. When I blend in and wear a school t-shirt with jeans, I just feel like I have to be compared with every single other girl who's wearing the exact same thing, and I hate it! I'm much more comfortable when I'm dressing like me. Not quite fitting in all the time. But you know what? That's what I like about it.
               Don't be afraid to be bold. Society's boundaries are holding you back. Take a step forward and do what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment