Friday, April 1, 2011

The Sun Goes Down and Inspiration Goes Up

          Ahh spring is here. It's getting lighter earlier and dark later. Daytime is lengthening while night is swiftly shrinking. Soon to come is an endless streak of days filled with an unflinching sun without a cloud in the sky. Most everyone I know is just incapable of waiting for the season change. Me? No WAY! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy warm weather (the cold is beginning to become a bit monotonous). The thought of not being forced to go to seven hours of school each day is also tantalizing. However, the downfall for me is the dwindling hours of nighttime.
         I function best at night. I've felt this way for years now. During the day I feel the pressures of school and the future. I feel like if I'm not doing homework or studying, that I should be working out or at least trying to find something productive to do. But, night is my savior. When the sun goes down, pressures are off and I feel like I can just take a deep breath and relax. However, that's the opposite of what I end up doing. I'm a night owl, I like to stay up late. I'm more productive at night. If I attempt something creative or interesting during the day, it just never seems to work out. With night comes inspiration.
         Really, the fact that I work best at night is quite the curse. I'm one of those people who when they start a project, they must finish it before taking a break and finishing later. So I start projects late at night and I have to finish it before I go to bed...meaning I end up staying up all night. This is why I love the days of winter. The sun goes down at 4:30 P.M. and I have seven hours of inspired time before it starts getting late. A disclaimer: I am not "goth" or "emo" or whatever other label you would like to tack on to me for loving night time. It just so happens to be the time that I feel most comfortable, productive, and inspired.
         Darkness takes over and my mind is cleared. Pressures of daytime are gone. I no longer feel the need to look and act perfect. Night is my time. My time to be creative. Do things that mean something to me. If I'm the only one who feels this way so be it. Summer is just sure to bring long days and short nights. You can decide what that means to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment