Saturday, April 16, 2011

Seasonal Purgatory

                 Springtime! The season of flowers blooming, the smell of warm rain in the air. The grass is growing, each day is warmer and warmer. It's a beautiful season! NOT! I absolutely hate spring, it's my least favorite season of them all. While I have been enjoying all of the rain, otherwise, it's a miserable time of the year. Summer and winter are what I like to think of as "definite" seasons. They're warm or cold, one way or the other, no matter what. In winter, you wear your winter coat if you ever step outside the house, no exceptions. In summer it's hot, you can be confident in your decision to wear shorts and a tank top without checking the weather forecast.
                Fall and spring are what I like to think of as "purgatory" seasons. Seasons in which you must constantly check the temperature in order to determine what is appropriate to wear the next day. They are seasons of great change and transition. Luckily, in fall, the transition is very smooth and quick. The changing period is beautiful with the leaves changing colors to gorgeous reds and oranges. And in a period of just a couple of weeks, it goes from warm to cold, no big deal. Then there's spring. The worst of them all. It's dreadful months on end of a giant question mark in regards to weather. Less than a week ago it was eighty degrees. We broke out the shorts, played tennis outside, it was great. Today: it snowed.
                That's the big reason to absolutely detest spring. Then there's the fact of what's customarily happening in each of these seasons. Summer is great just because we're out of school. We're free to have all the time we want to ourselves. Sleep in, hang out with friends, stay out late. It's a time of freedom. In fall, school's just started, everything's exciting and new. Football (marching band) season, school hasn't quite gotten hard yet. With winter comes my favorite holidays: Christmas, New Years, AND my birthday. Also, I like the clothes I wear in winter better than the clothes I have for summer (superficial, I know, but I consider it important). But winter's my favorite because everyone really seems to be in a good mood for most of this season. Maybe because the Christmas season is upon us, but I think that the never ending possibility of a snow day, the looming holiday ahead, it just makes everything better.
                Then there's spring. School is STILL in session, feeling like it will never end. Everyone is just going through the motions while their minds are really just set on plans for the season to come. This seasonal purgatory that has a beautiful facade, isn't so beautiful on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment